Quick: Name some of history’s most famous transformations. Maybe what comes to mind includes the Ugly Duckling or Optimus Prime or Charlize Theron in “Monster.” Another transformation that history will ultimately rank high on its list should be Mizner Park’s new movie theater-and-restaurant combo, iPic and Tanzy.
Gone is the old Sunrise Theater, the rundown cineplex that stood as an eye sore in the otherwise pristine, idyllic Boca Raton setting. Up now is iPic, a revolutionary movie theater that makes something watching Jason Statham speeding in a Porsche while shooting a gun seem very luxurious. While I have yet to catch a movie at iPic, my friends have and they swear there’s no other reason to watch a movie at another location. iPic is the best, they say. You won’t go to another theather is the apparent consensus. Some selling points include:
- uber-comfy, plush and spacious leather seats
- a service staff who’ll get your drinks and food during your movie-watching experience
- free popcorn (they had me at “free” and then reeled me in at “popcorn”)
Upstairs is iPic and downstairs is Tanzy, an eclectic restaurant that’s touted as an artisanal Italian restaurant. Both iPic and Tanzy are the brainchild of President and CEO Hamid Hashemi, whose previous foray in movies included Boca Raton’s chic and then-innovative Muvico.
Some highlights of Tanzy include:
- the restaurant was designed to embody nostalgic Italian villas on the Amalfi Coast
- Parma Bar, an equivalent to a sushi bar (so Hashemi says) that serves cured meats from Parma, Italy
- cocktail designs by the award-winning mixologist and sommelier Adam Seger (whose resume includes serving the chosen drink for the Academy Awards)